Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The "Golden" Rule

Why Hi There.

This time, our assignment is to answer a couple of questions about The Golden Rule. You may have noticed that I have put "Golden" into quotation marks in my title. The reason for this is I do not agree with The "Golden" rule. Shocking, I know. No, I am not saying that all people should be mean to each other. I am just saying that I don't like the general concept of that rule. I don't like it because it can go both ways. Yes my friends, both ways. I mean, sure, people act good to you, act good to them, it's simple. But, if people act badly to you, are you supposed to be nice to them? What, you think that just because you don't lose it and act nice to them, that they'll be nice to you? They were already being mean to you!  Anyways, as you may have seen in my "Tolerance and Discrimination :)" post, I said the same thing. So, as you may see, I didn't get this idea very recently. So, anyways, into the specifics. We have to answer 4 questions. I have chosen to do the following, because they are the ones that I can answer, disagreeing with the rule, and all. 1. "What is the message of the Golden Rule?", 2."Which expression of the Golden Rule do you like the best? Why?", 3."What could things be like if everyone behaved according to the Golden Rule", 4."Why is it that sometimes we don't behave according to the Golden Rule?". My favorite? The last. You know why. Anyways, off to the answers.

1. The message of The "Golden" Rule is that you have to act in a certain way to people, if you would like them to treat you the same way (As I said, both ways!).

2. The expression of The "Golden" Rule that I like the most is the Native Spirituality one, which is, "We are as much alive as we keep the earth alive". It's my favorite because it makes the most sense to me. What I mean is that we can't be alive if the earth isn't, and so, brings the quote. I also like this expression because it applies more to nature, and you may think I'm obsessed now, but it can't go both ways, which I like of course.

3. Personally for this one, I'd have to say that it almost wouldn't change at all. I bet tons and tons of people out there are acting by The "Golden" Rule, and some of them not even knowing it. I'm saying this because everyone wants to be treated differently, and if you're angry, happy, excited, or sad, everything changes. People want to be treated differently in different moods also.

4. Ah, this one is very easy. I think that people don't behave according to The "Golden" Rule because, as I said in question 3, when your in a different mood, everything changes. I have a scenario here. Let's say that you're angry at someone, for whatever reason, and you are just so mad, let's just say it's pretty much "blind rage". So, you are both being verbally attacked at this point. Now that you aren't really paying attention to what you say, this 'treating others like you want to be treated' business isn't so important now is it?

Well, now that you, my wonderful friends/acquaintances have finished reading my rant, I think it's fair for me to bid you:

Farewinds! -Bree- :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bree!
    I loved your blog about the "Golden Rule". Here are some things that I enjoyed and things you should think about for the future. (It's an assignment that I have to do)

    3 things I liked!

    One thing I liked about your blog was your opinion of why you don't agree with the Golden Rule. It's interesting that you would say that. I've never seen someone write their opinion about the Golden Rule. You did a good take on that, it makes people want to think about this.
    Another thing that I liked about your blog was that you told the readers what you had to do on this assignment. Some people would just complete the assignment on their blogs without telling other readers what this blog is about and why you're doing this, but you gave a short and sweet explanation about it, and that was good. I noticed you did that on all of your blogs, which was great.
    The last thing that I liked about your blog was at the end, you let readers vote for the reactions of this blog. People can vote that the blog is funny, interesting or cool. That's pretty awesome. I hope a lot of people will use your polls in the future.

    2 further ideas

    One further idea that I have is maybe you should make the font of your blogs a little bigger. I had to go closer to my computer to see better, and I wear glasses already. Or you could change the font to a new font. Some fonts are bigger than others, so maybe that will help as well.
    The other further idea that I have is that all of your colour fonts have been white. SHOW YOUR TRUE COLOURS GIRL! Experiment with the kind of fonts that are given to you. White might be an easy colour for readers to see, but there are other colours too. Try it out, make the blog more colourful! The fish are a great start, because they're colourful, but you gotta do more than that, don't be scared, don't be shy!

    1 question

    The one qustion I have is, so you're favourite expression of the Golden Rule is a quote from the Native Spirituality. So when did you first see or hear that quote? Did you read it somewhere, or did your teacher tell you? etc. It's a good quote!

    Great job Bree! Please feel free to comment if you have any questions about this. Keep up the excellent work. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Melissa :)

    Thank you for your thoughts and things, and also for your ideas. They were a big help :)

    I think, because I have not agreed with the "Golden" rule, I am different, which I like :D As I was reading your comment, I noticed (no, really?) that you like the thing abiut my polls, and I thought I'd tell you how to do so :). What you do, is you go into the gadget editor thing and you click on blog posts. If you read along the options you can change, you can put that on there, if you like. :)

    As for your further ideas, I shall definetly change the font for it to be easier to see,and thanks, for that, I didn't notice. :)

    And for your question? Well, my teacher handed out these sheets with a bunch of "Golden" rule expressions from different religions. If you'd like, you could go and check the poster out, it's on her blog under "Assignment #5" and there's a link- "the universality of the golden rule in world religions".

    Thanks again for your feedback and thoughts!

    Farewinds! -Bree- :D

    ReplyDelete